Top-Viewed Stories of 2019
Every holiday season, we publish a list of the top-viewed articles of the year.
I’m very sad to report that for the second year in a row, the top-read story is related to the tragic passing of an important industry executive.
This year, the industry lost Jake Burton, founder of Burton Snowboards and of the snowboard industry overall. It’s hard to fathom the loss that Burton is going through at this time. Our hearts go out to everyone there.
Last year, Boardriders CEO and longtime Quiksilver executive Pierre Agnes tragically disappeared at sea. Let’s all hope we don’t experience another unexpected passing in the coming year.
The other news that dominated in 2019 mainly had to do with companies being sold, including Volcom, Hurley, Rip Curl, the Dwindle skate brands, and Pura Vida.
In addition, there appears to be lots of interest in the fate of Poler, and executive moves at various companies.
Also intriguing: Our story about the challenges swimwear brands are facing from knockoff sites in China drew a lot of attention.
Here is the list of the Top 25 viewed stories in 2019.
- Very Sad News About Jake Burton
- An Update on Jake Burton’s Health
- Kering Sells Volcom to Authentic Brands Group
- Poler Files for Bankruptcy
- Knock off Discount Swimwear Sites Pose Challenge to Brands
- Boardriders Making Major Executive Moves and Growth Plans
- Hurley Sold
- Volcom CEO Todd Hymel on Go Forward Plan
- Globe international Sells Dwindle Skate Brands
- Poler to Relaunch with New Owner
- New Bootie Company Stresses Function Over Fashion
- Poler Reopens for Business Today
- Rip Curl Sold to New Zealand Outdoor Company
- An Update on Adventure Sports Network Print Publications
- New Brixton Leadership Launches Major Transformation of the Brand
- Nike Answers a Few Questions About Hurley Sale
- Evan Slater Moves to Billabong
- Boardriders Moves to Consolidate Facilities Globally
- Transworld Snowboarding to Shutter All Together
- Photos from Zumiez 100k Party
- Nike Acquires Celect
- Vans President Doug Palladini on the Secrets to Vans Growth
- Live from the SIMA Awards
- Fallen Footwear is Relaunching Worldwide
- Pura Vida Acquired by Vera Bradley for $75 Million