Skip to content Skip to navigation

Terry Strumpf resigns from Billabong

Print Friendly and PDF
  • Terry Strumpf and girlfriend Crishana Haynes at the Waterman's Ball this year

Terry Strumpf, Billabong’s VP of Merchandising and Design and President of the Xcel brand, turned in his resignation Friday and has left the company.

He is the second senior executive in the U.S. to depart this week. Sr. Design Director Rob McCarty quit on Thursday.

Terry worked at Billabong USA for 15 years, and was one of the first 10 employees Paul Naude hired when he launched the U.S. division after Bob Hurley opted out of the license.

I reached Terry by cell, and he told me, “I wish everyone the best there. I love my team, and the employees. That was the hardest part – saying goodbye to over 100 employees globally.”

I asked him what is next, and if he is going to work for Paul Naude’s new brand.

“The next step is I’m going to spend the next 30 days surfing everyday, I am going to hang out with my girl, and with my friends and family. I am going to watch the sunset. Then I will get back out there.

“I have nothing lined up yet. Over the past few months, some headhunters have contacted me, and there are options out there. But I have made no decisions yet and that is the truth.

“Whatever is next, it’s going to be about the brand, the culture, the people and the job. The money will be last.”

OUR SPONSORS

More news

Last updated: : 05/25/2016 - 15:27

Executives detailed what worked and what didn't, and commented on the challenging retail climate, store opening plans

Last updated: : 05/25/2016 - 14:28

The closing of the large industry account is especially bad news for some sectors of the snow industry

Last updated: : 05/24/2016 - 09:37

The market may be challenged, but Billabong is besting the competition  - in both men's and women's - in the core retail channel, according to ActionWatch

Last updated: : 05/23/2016 - 13:33

Lots of photos from the annual gathering of the tribe in Mexico

Last updated: : 05/20/2016 - 13:18

In a podcast interview, the Vans North America GM talks about how Vans - the industry's largest company - manages the pressure to grow while protecting the Vans brand, why he thinks the industry is struggling, and Vans' strategy for the surf market.

Last updated: : 05/19/2016 - 14:32

The company's earnings call was filled with interesting information including how Urban plans to combat the retail malaise and move to more vertical retailing

Last updated: : 05/19/2016 - 10:44

Photos from the first day of Surf Summit 19, which has an updated format at a new - and nicer - hotel.

Last updated: : 05/18/2016 - 10:33

We ask the Surf Divas what key business lessons they have learned over the past two decades, what inspired them to start the business, and what motivates them today

Last updated: : 05/17/2016 - 08:12

Zumiez will have lots of industry company at the lifestyle center

Last updated: : 05/16/2016 - 11:57

Details emerged about vendor payment plans and employee incentive and retention bonus plans during a bankruptcy court hearing last week