The Moss Adams Apparel Market Monitor shows that public companies, with the exception of the Youth Lifestyle category, continue to outperform the overall stock market. Previews of Agenda WMNS at Long Beach, Agenda NYC and Agenda Vegas. Now on Industry Insight.
Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., June 14, 2011 – Get ready because there are eight days and counting until skateboarders from around the world hop on board for the 9th Annual International Go Skateboarding Day (GSD) on June 21st, 2011.
Since this year’s GSD is on a Tuesday, events are starting as early as the weekend before and they are popping up all over the world. Skate product giveaways, contests, and demos will be held at some of America’s biggest skate parks as well as in parks in Panama, England and Austria, to name a few.
GSD unites the global skateboard family to have fun, raise money and awareness for needy skateparks, promote local skate shops, and raise money for local charities and community needs.
Founded by the International Association of Skateboard Companies (IASC) and with strong support from skaters everywhere, GSD is a holiday that encourages everyone to drop what they are doing, have fun, and go skateboarding!
“This year for GSD, IASC is focused on promoting charities and retailers that support and grow their communities through the love of skateboarding,” said IASC Executive Director Josh Friedberg.
"Events like the Skateistan Skate-a-thon in Afghanistan and Fairfax Skateshop’s Skate-for-a-cause in Annandale, Virginia are great examples of ways the 2011 holiday will make a difference in people’s lives. Go Skateboarding Day is a great time to remember what you love about skateboarding. Grab your friends, get out there and skate!”
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
Here are some events across the U.S. that you can attend to support GSD:
· Definitely don’t miss out in this New York City event! 5boro Skateboards is once again organizing what is known as the largest Go Skateboarding Day event in the world. Presenting sponsor is Maloof Money Cup, with supporting sponsors Vans, Volcom, Red Bull and CCS, and non-profit community partner, the Open Space Alliance for North Brooklyn. The event starts are 11:00 am on June 21st at the Maloof Money Cup Skatepark and hits LES at 2:00 pm and ends in Williamsburg at 5:00 pm. For details of the full day please check out www.5boro.com or maloofmoneycup.com.
· Roots Advocates for Youth in Kapaau, Hawaii, has teamed up with Oasis Skateboard Shop to celebrate their 3rd Annual Go Skate Day Parade which begins at 10:30 am on June 21st, 2011. Don’t miss out on live music, DJ’s and prizes. This is their annual fundraiser to build Roots Skatepark.
· Fairfax Skateshop and the Wakefield Skatepark in Annandale Virginia will be skating for a cause June 17-18th. Support the Children’s National Medical Center at Skatefest 2011. More information can be found at www.skatefestfairfax.com
· Bring your blanket or chair and hang out all day at the Go Skateboarding Day Festival on June 21, 2011 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Sycamore Creek Park at Covered Bridge Lane in Pickerington, OH. There will be a FREE clinic at 10 am, tons of prizes, food and drinks. For more information, contact Mason Reta (email@example.com)
· The main event taking place in Los Angeles, California is GSD Venice happening on June 21, 2011. GSD Venice is from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at Venice Beach skatepark.
· Sector 9 Skateboards reminds us to Push don’t Polute by hosting their 5th annual Boardwalk Poker Run in San Diego, CA Free food will be provided by Wahoo's for all participants, fun and games in the park, and free prizes and giveaways. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
· Skateistan skate school will hold it’s 3rd annual Go Skateboarding Day event with a skate-a-thon including donkey carts carrying water for participants! Participants will end up at the Skateistan Park, where there will be a skateboard contest and showing of Afghan skate videos. Contact email@example.com
· The City of Tacoma is going to make skateboarding recognized as a legal form of transportation in downtown Tacoma one week before the event. For more information and they have a web site dedicated: www.goskatetacoma.com
Here are some of the events across the globe that you can attend to support GSD:
· Leicester, England is hosting the Magic Toast//Leicester on June 21, 2011 all day located at Braunstone Skate Plaza, Victoria Park Skate Park. For more information contact Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Massive National Skate Reunion in Lima, Peru on June 18th, 2011 All Day!! Last year there were 2500 skaters and this year they are hoping for more. They are gathering in Larco Mar Miraflores at noon. For more information contact Rafael Macul (email@example.com)
· Go Skateboarding Day Panama on June 18, 2011 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. Located at Saliendo Del Skatepark de Las Mercedes. Lots of skateboarding and prizes. For more information contact Swiss Sport Corp (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Vancouver Go Skateboarding Day 2011 on June 21, 2011 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. This year Go Skateboarding Day in Vancouver will be celebrated with mystery spots, street takeover and an all out radical day with tons of cash prizes, best tricks and product to be had and won by all. Start at Vancouver Skateboard Plaza. For more information contact Supra Distribution (email@example.com)
Additional events happening around the world include Romania, Costa Rica, and Columbia, Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Israel, South Africa, Czech Republic, Poland, China, and Guatemala.
For events in your area and further details on these events, go to: http://www.goskateboardingday.org/ or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/goskateboardingdayofficialpage Flyers, information packs, and other materials to help skateboarders create their own events and spread the word are available on the Go Skateboarding Day website.
The International Association of Skateboard Companies (IASC) is the non-profit trade association of skateboarding. Formed in 1995, IASC is a diverse group of skateboard manufacturers, distributors, contest organizers, private skateparks, and individuals. Members include a collaboration of people passionate about skateboarding with the single aim of protecting the integrity of skateboarding and pushing it forward on a global level. For further information, please visit www.skateboardiasc.org.
Go Skateboarding Day, held June 21st of every year, is the official holiday of skateboarding. Event locations are disclosed at local skate shops and on www.goskateboardingday.org, where you will also find info on how to create your own event, fundraiser or rally and more. While the holiday grows, the mission remains the same: Go skateboarding and have fun!