Sponsors
Billabong ▲ +0.010 | PPR ▲ +2.40 | American Apparel ▲ +0.31 | The Buckle ▲ +0.25 | Columbia ▼ -0.26 | Deckers Outdoor ▲ +1.49 | Dicks ▲ +1.44 | Foot Locker ▲ +1.55 | Genesco ▲ +1.88 | Iconix Brand Group ▼ -0.22 | Jarden Corp ▲ +0.74 | Nordstrom ▲ +1.75 | Luxottica ▼ 0.00 | Nike ▲ +2.58 | Pacific Sunwear ▲ +0.01 | Skullcandy ▲ +0.31 | Sport Chalet - 0 | Urban Outfitters ▲ +0.85 | VF Corp ▲ +1.45 | Quiksilver ▲ +0.13 | Zumiez ▲ +0.48 | Macys ▲ +1.31 | Tillys ▲ +0.11 |
Ticker Sponsor
Readers Say
The one, undisputed leader
The one, undisputed leader

It is common knowledge in our industry that there is one undisputed leader in reporting on the topics, businesses and trends that impact all of us the most, and it is shop-eat-surf.com. Their access to those who make our industry happen is second to none, and we value not only the content of their reporting but the editorial thought on what it all means both in the present as well as the future. If we were asked to give a rating, it would be five out of five stars.

- By Craig Levra, CEO, Sport Chalet
Executive Edition is a must have
Executive Edition is a must have

Before Shop-Eat-Surf, there were two sites I paid for premium content on. One is Surfline, the other is the Wall Street Journal. One is about all things surf, the other, the best business content site in the world. Shop-eat-surf is the intersection of those two worlds. Shop-Eat-Surf provides everything from coverage of events, people, brands and trends. However, beyond the Executive Edition "wall" is more meaty analysis and interpretation of financial statements, business models and brand philosophies; why certain brands and companies are succeeding, where others aren't. The Executive Edition is a must have read if the business of surf and action sports are on your radar screen.

- By Jeff Berg, Co-owner, Surfline
Industry Insight

AGENDA: GroupY's Emerge brand-building conference returns on Jan. 6.
SURFRIDER: "Protect What You Love" holiday appeal.
MOSS ADAMS: Plan now for tax season.
Details on Industry Insight.


Tiffany Montgomery
Print This Article

Alternative Apparel founder on growth plans

By Shelby Stanger
December 13, 2010 6:18 AM

Known for its soft, vintage-looking Ts, Alternative Apparel is close to reaching $100 million in sales.

 

Founder and Chief Creative Officer Greg Alterman discusses the company's rapid growth and shares what's next, including a move into retail.

 

How big is the company right now?

Greg Alterman Greg Alterman

We’re about to reach the $100 million mark in sales and currently have roughly 180 employees at Alternative.

 

Where are you based?

Our headquarters are located in Atlanta, Georgia with our Design Lab and primary showroom located in Los Angeles and an additional showroom in New York.

 

How many employees do you have?

Approximately 180. Notably, we’ve brought on 83 new hires since 2009.

 

Over the last few years, how much have you grown?

We’re fortunate to have experienced rapid growth and expansion despite the recent economic downturn. We grew 550% in our first six years, and we continue to grow every day with new hires, new product segments and new ventures.

 

How much of your business is blanks versus selling wholesale to retail accounts?

Alternative TRight now, our consumer sales make up about 5% of our volume with our wholesale/ASI/brand accounts comprising the other 95%.

 

What are your biggest categories?

Alternative began as a blank T-shirt company, so Ts are obviously huge for us. When our customers buy an Alternative tee, they know it’s not just any T-shirt; each piece is designed to fit flawlessly and have that signature vintage softness. The quality and care that go into each garment give the wearer a feeling confidence and being comfortable in their own skin—that’s what sets Alternative apart from the competition.

 

Over the years, we’ve been able to bring our commitment to comfort and craftsmanship to new categories. We’re starting to expand our outerwear and bottoms and have received a great response from our customers in those categories.

 

See Page 2 for Alternative's expansion plans

Previous 1 2 Next

Articles You Might Have Missed